Microbiome and Metagenome Bioinformatics Analyst
Bioinformatics Consultant (MT0481)
The Canadian Centre for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University, a leading academic platform in bioinformatics and data sharing, is currently seeking a bioinformatician to 1) support the development of a new microbiome and metagenomics section within C3G services, together with the metagenomics section lead and 2) to provide metagenomics analysis services to client investigators and academic collaborators under the supervision of the C3G services manager.
The consultant will apply various analytical workflows to data produced by Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) instruments and perform customized statistical analyses that enable biological interpretation of genomics data, with a particular focus on the analysis of microbiomes and metagenomes. Work will be done closely with external client investigators, other bioinformaticians and with scientists at the McGill Genome Centre. The consultant will be exposed to a wide variety of novel sequencing technologies, bioinformatics approaches, and state of the art computing resources in a dedicated facility for high-throughput sequencing and large-scale genomic studies.
- Apply bioinformatics solutions for the analysis of genomic datasets.
- Contribute to the creation and development of the C3G metagenomics unit.
- Meet with clients and users to understand and help define their analysis requirements. When appropriate, inform the supervisor and formulate recommendations.
- Identify, investigate and solve client and help desk user problems.
- Provide detailed reports presenting results and descriptions of the methods used.
- Contribute to problem-solving team discussions.
- Update and develop the online documentation explaining and promoting the services offered and related analysis methodologies.
- On a regular basis, provide an internal report regarding the progress of projects (oral presentations).
- Stay informed of the most relevant bioinformatics practices in genomics by reading the scientific literature and attending scientific presentations.
- Manage several analysis projects at the same time and track effort.
- Participate in the development of bioinformatics solutions for the analysis of complex genomic datasets.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field is required.
- Three to five years of relevant work experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in microbiome data analysis is prefered.
- Good understanding of standard statistical concepts, experimental design and common data visualization techniques is required.
- Working knowledge of R and Unix shell scripting is required. Python proficiency is an asset.
- Proven experience in using HPC resources is prefered.
- Attention to detail, good communication and organizational skills and ability to work in a highly interactive group is required.
- Experience in providing bioinformatics training is desirable.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously is required.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English and French is required.
Hours per Week:
- 33.75 (Full time)
The Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University offers a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where projects bring concrete contributions to the advancement of research in fields such as human health and the environment. Our team is composed of people that are passionate about what they are doing. We work with data from cutting edge sequencing technologies using high-performance computing equipment. Learn more about why McGill is an exciting place to work: https://www.mcgill.ca/careers/why-mcgill.
Deadline to Apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
*Please submit your cover letter and resume as one [.PDF].
Submit your application online by clicking HERE and indicate the McGill job position identifier MT0481.