Web Application Developer
Reference number: MT0292, IST1E, GR3
The Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University provides bioinformatics analysis and high performance computing services for the life science research community. C3G develops customized and case-by-case bioinformatics solutions as well as an extensive suite of open-source software, including bioinformatics analysis pipelines (https://bitbucket.org/mugqic/mugqic_pipelines) used by multiple academic institutions, and many data access and analysis portals. We are seeking a Web Application Developer to engage in the development maintenance of a number of web applications, including the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC) Data Portal (http://epigenomesportal.ca/ihec/), GenAP (https://genap.ca) and other online resources.
- Iteratively write code to incorporate new concepts and test new designs
- Focus on user experience, intuitive interfaces and interaction layers to create user-friendly web pages and applications
- Ensure implementation is done using the best coding practices, including proper code commenting, unit testing, etc.
- Develop server-side applications and scripts, such as data quality control pipelines
- Contribute in the technological research and the prototyping
- Make proper use of a revision control system such as BitBucket with Git
- Setup and maintain automation tools for testing, continuous integration & delivery such as Selenium and Jenkins
- Optimize code when needed while making use of good software practices
- Make use of an issue tracking system such as Atlassian JIRA to document tasks, issues and bugs, and the resolution status of these
- Ensure that all finished solutions work within a variety of browser types and screen settings along with the constraints set by development and design
- Ensure that all Internet standards are met and that the company does not intentionally violate any standards or licenses that would place our domain in jeopardy
Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering or related field.
- Having an open mind towards new technologies, having at least basic knowledge of the various layers involved in web application development (full-stack).
- Attention to detail, good communication and organizational skills and ability to work in a highly interactive group.
- Capable of getting multiple tasks assigned at once, and making sure that they all progress at a steady pace.
- Experience with relational databases (RDBMS), such as MySQL and Postgre
- Experience with server-side scripting, such as Python, Perl, Bash
- Experience with Python frameworks like Flask and Django
- Experience with the Git version control system
- Demonstrated sound intuition in making efficient and simple-to-use browser-based interactive tools and interfaces
- Interest in the field of genetics and bioinformatics.
- English and French (spoken and written)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now. Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.