Classification: IST2E, Gr.05
Under the direction of the Bioinformatics Manager, the Bioinformatics Specialist will provide analyses services at McGill’s Canadian Centre for Computational Genomics (C3G), with specific dedication to users at the Goodman Cancer Research Centre (GCRC). The specialist will perform advanced statistical analyses that facilitate cancer genomics data interpretation as well as contribute to the development and application of various analysis pipelines associated with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) instruments. Work will be done closely with scientists and trainees at the GCRC and C3G, while being exposed to a wide variety of novel sequencing technologies, bioinformatics approaches, and state of the art computing resources in a dedicated facility for high-throughput sequencing and large-scale genomic studies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet with clients and users to plan experiments and subsequent analysis in terms of deliverables, timeline and cost.
- Supervise and advise trainees on analytical approaches. Provide support and guide them on tools to use and what analyses to perform. Monitor progress and results of these assignments.
- Manage several analysis projects at the same time.
- Identify, investigate and solve user questions and problems.
- Provide detailed reports describing methods and analysis results targeted at an audience of biological scientists.
- Contribute to problem-solving discussions.
- Leverage existing literature to identify previously successful analytical workflows and stay informed of the most relevant bioinformatics practices.
- Contribute to online documentation describing services offered by the C3G.
- On a regular basis, give oral presentations on progress of projects.
- Accurately track and report time spent on the different project assignments for the GCRC and other clients.
- Maintain close interaction between bioinformatics units at the GCRC and C3G. Provide them with feedback on potential improvements to established pipelines and procedures.
- Update and extend bioinformatics tools and software methods used or developed at the C3G.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- M.Sc. in Bioinformatics, Statistics, Computer Science or related field (Ph.D. is an asset)
- Three (3) years of experience in bioinformatics or genomics research
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
- Prior experience in analyzing and interpreting results from next generation sequencing assays is needed. Experience with RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, WGBS, tumor-normal WGS or WES, is highly desirable.
- Excellent understanding of statistics and key concepts of experimental design is a must.
- Experience in R for genomics data analysis and visualization is a requirement.
- Basic knowledge of Python and Unix shell scripting is needed.
- Experience running jobs in an HPC environment is required.
- Demonstrated strong past experience at managing priorities and setting realistic expectations.
- Experience with cancer genomics data analysis is a plus.
- Experience in lecturing at workshops and tutoring students is desirable.
- Ability to write and speak effectively in the English language is required. Spoken and written French is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your application to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
and clearly indicate the reference number MT0481.