Bioinformatics IT Software Developer
Classification: MT0496, IST2F, GR5
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, the IT Software Developer in Bioinformatics participates in the planning, development, co-ordination, implementation and maintenance of a Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) based at the McGill Genome Centre. This role is to support the needs of external user, principal investigators, postdoctoral researchers, students, and staff of the center. This includes the integration of novel and recent sequencing technologies and implementation of information system strategies that support the operating and analytical needs of the center. It also includes instructional development and training of the implemented system and resources for members of the center.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conceptualize, design and develop component of the LIMS to store and generate accessibility to large amounts of raw and processed next-generation sequencing;
- Creation of new workflows, capture the appropriate sample and laboratory manipulation information; and enabling all relevant metadata to follow sample data files through various steps
- Implementation of new tools and features interacting with the LIMS database
- Maintain software integration into high performance computing systems for data analysis.
- Strengthen software infrastructure by troubleshooting, debugging and enhancing exiting code, and to ensure system stability and reliability.
- Implement data migration tools and scripts to integrate data from legacy systems to new tools and systems.
- Engineering and continual development of the client interface to meet the evolving needs of the user.
- Apply knowledge of information system products and services to assist all users of the LIMS, including analysts, bioinformatics scientists, principal investigators, collaborators and end users.
- Provide support and recommend solutions to all users of the LIMS. Troubleshoot systems problems as necessary to ensure operational integrity.
- Develop training material and documentation for the system.
- Keep abreast of any new developments in Computer Canada network (parallel processing) and software packages for increased efficiency and accuracy of the system.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Three (3) years’ related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and/or abilities:
HOW TO APPLY:
Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
*Please submit your cover letter and resume as one [.PDF].
Submit your application online by clicking HERE and indicate the McGill job Number MT0496.