Web Application Developer
The Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University provides bioinformatics analysis and high performance computing services for the life science research community. C3G develops customized and case-by-case bioinformatics solutions as well as an extensive suite of open-source software, including bioinformatics analysis pipelines (https://bitbucket.org/mugqic/mugqic_pipelines) used by multiple academic institutions, and many data access and analysis portals. We are seeking a Web Application Developer to engage in the development maintenance of a number of web applications, including the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC) Data Portal (http://epigenomesportal.ca/ihec/), GenAP <ahref=”https: genap.ca”=”https://genap.ca”> (https://genap.ca) and other online resources.
- Iteratively write code to incorporate new concepts and test new designs
- Focus on user experience, intuitive interfaces and interaction layers to create user-friendly web pages and applications
- Ensure implementation is done using the best coding practices, including proper code commenting, unit testing, etc
- Develop server-side applications and scripts, such as data quality control pipelines
- Contribute in the technological research and the prototyping
- Make proper use of a revision control system such as BitBucket with Git
- Setup and maintain automation tools for testing, continuous integration & delivery such as Selenium and Jenkins
- Optimize code when needed while making use of good software practices
- Make use of an issue tracking system such as Atlassian JIRA to document tasks, issues and bugs, and the resolution status of these
- Ensure that all finished solutions work within a variety of browser types and screen settings along with the constraints set by development and design
- Ensure that all Internet standards are met and that the company does not intentionally violate any standards or licenses that would place our domain in jeopardy
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering or related field.
- Having an open mind towards new technologies, having at least basic knowledge of thevarious layers involved in web application development (full-stack).
- Attention to detail, good communication and organizational skills and ability to work in ahighly interactive group.
- Capable of getting multiple tasks assigned at once, and making sure that they allprogress at a steady pace.
- Experience with relational databases (RDBMS), such as MySQL and Postgre
- Experience with server-side scripting, such as Python, Perl, Bash
- Experience with Python frameworks like Flask and Django
- Experience with the Git version control system
- Demonstrated sound intuition in making efficient and simple-to-use browser-based interactive tools and interfaces
- Interest in the field of genetics and bioinformatics
- English and French (spoken and written)
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree 3 Years Related Experience
Hours per Week:
- 33.75 (Full time)
- Bioinformatics Manager
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should submit a cover letter explaining their qualifications and their interest in these positions, a curriculum vitae,
and the names and contact information for two individuals who could provide letters of recommendation. Applications and any inquiries should be sent to [.PDF].
Submit your application online by clicking HERE and indicate the McGill job number JR0000000869.