Bioinformatics Software Developer
The Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University C3G offers a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where projects bring concrete contributions to the advancement of research in fields such as human health and the environment. Our team is composed of people that are passionate about what they are doing, and that work with cutting edge sequencing technologies and high performance computing equipment. Learn more about why McGill is an exciting place to work: https://www.mcgill.ca/careers/why-mcgill. C3G develops customized and case-by-case bioinformatics solutions as well as an extensive suite of open-source software, including bioinformatics analysis pipelines (bitbucket.org/mugqic/genpipes) used by multiple academic institutions, and many data access and analysis portals. Since 2011, C3G has completed more than a thousand bioinformatic analysis projects for over 600 distinct groups of researchers across Canada. We are seeking a Bioinformatics Software Developer (web applications) to engage in the development maintenance of a number of web applications, including the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC) Data Portal (http://epigenomesportal.ca/ihec/), GenAP (genap.ca) and other online resources.
- Under the supervision of a Bioinformatics Manager, the incumbent will implement and maintain client and server-side applications,
cycles will involve small but frequent releases, and constant interactions with the Bioinformatics platform team.
- Iteratively write code to incorporate new concepts and test new designs
- Focus on user experience, intuitive interfaces and interaction layers to create user-friendly web pages and applications
- Ensure implementation is done using the best coding practices, including proper code commenting, unit testing, etc.
- Develop server-side applications and scripts, such as data quality control pipelines
- Contribute in the technological research and the prototyping
- Make proper use of a revision control system such as BitBucket with Git
- Setup and maintain automation tools for testing, continuous integration & delivery such as Selenium and Jenkins
- Optimize code when needed while making use of good software practices
- Make use of an issue tracking system such as Atlassian JIRA to document tasks, issues and bugs, and their resolution status
- Ensure that all finished solutions work within a variety of browser types and screen settings along with the constraints set by
development and design
- Ensure that all Internet standards are met and that the company does not intentionally violate any standards or licenses that would
place our domain in jeopardy
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering or related field with three to five years of relevant work experience preferred.
server-side scripting, such as Python, Perl, Bash, relational databases (RDBMS), such as MySQL and Postg, with Python frameworks like Flask and Django, with applications containerization (e.g. Docker, Singularity) as well as with the Git version control system.
Basic knowledge of the various layers involved in web application development (full-stack), as well as a vested interest in researching new
technologies; Attention to detail, good communication and organizational skills and ability to work in a highly interactive group.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Interest in the field of genetics and bioinformatics is an asset.
- English and French, spoken and written.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree 3 Years Related Experience
Hours per Week:
- 33.75 (Full time)
- Bioinformatics Manager
Deadline to Apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
*Please submit your cover letter and resume as one [.PDF].
Submit your application online by clicking HERE and indicate the McGill job number JR0000001442.