Classification: MT0860, IST2F, GR5
The Canadian Center for Computational Genomics C3G at McGill University offers a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where projects bring concrete contributions to the advancement of research in fields such as human health and the environment. Our team is composed of people that are passionate about their work, which focuses on cutting edge sequencing technologies and high performance computing equipment. Learn more about why McGill is an exciting place to work: https://www.mcgill.ca/careers/why-mcgill.
C3G provides bioinformatics analysis and high performance computing services, as well as data platforms development for the life science research community. We develop customized and case-by-case bioinformatics solutions as well as an extensive suite of open-source software, including federated research data sharing platforms (CanDIG: distributedgenomics.ca) and bioinformatics analysis pipelines (bitbucket.org/mugqic/genpipes) used by multiple academic institutions, and many data access and analysis portals.
We are seeking a Systems Analyst to engage in the development and growth of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) system for the McGill Genome Centre (MGC: mcgillgenomecentre.org), taylored for high volumes of genomic research and clinical data, that will support a wide range of technologies and experiment types. Under the direction of the Bioinformatics Manager, the Systems Analyst will contribute towards the realization of a complete integrated system which includes, alongside a LIMS, components of customer and work order management, a data access portal, and output data processing and validation pipelines. Responsible for the project advancement, the candidate will gather requirements from internal and external customers and research collaborators, MGC genomic platforms laboratory personnel and project managers. The Systems Analyst will be responsible for coordinating and assisting with the delivery of the project, supporting the development and update of reports, dashboards, meeting minutes, presentations and other key documentation related to the project.
- Interact with users and key stakeholders from the various components of the system, including other software development teams within the McGill institution, and third-party software vendors
- Gather system requirements from internal and external stakeholders, and analyze needs to propose concrete solutions.
- Produce requirements analysis documentation that will be used by software developers.
- Plan regular software development cycles, ensuring they stay within scope given the roadmap and resources available, by 1) deferring non-mission critical items to later development cycles, and 2) keeping development team focused and shielded from external influence.
- Liaise with all project stakeholders to ensure the proper integration of internal and external components of the system.
- Implement changes as necessary to ensure that the project remains within specified scope, timeframe, cost and quality objectives; and keep management aware of the situation with project roadmaps, plans, and schedules.
- Ensure development team adheres to agreed standard procedures in terms of code organisation and review, documentation, ticketing system, source control repositories, software testing and deployment strategies, etc.
- Ensure the satisfaction of all system users through proper releases follow-up, and towards additional software release cycles.
Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a related discipline.
- Proven track record of developing and completing successful Information Technology projects; experience involving LIMS systems is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct requirements gathering and analysis, propose solutions and follow-up on the execution with technical resources.
- Ability to complete project tasks and activities within allocated time and with allocated resources.
- Ability to write clear and well-organized analysis documentation including user stories, requirements documents, flow charts, use cases, and supporting UML diagrams to support agile based software development process.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Knowledge of agile software development cycles methodologies.
- Excellent organizational and customer relations skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in collaborative environments.
- Candidate is proactive and demonstrate initiative in collecting information necessary to accomplish goals.
- Ability to facilitate team members to work effectively and achieve project outcomes.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels including with clients, colleagues, team members and management.
- Demonstrated attention to detail while also taking into consideration the overall view of the project.
- Software development skills are an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
*Please submit your cover letter and resume as one [.PDF].
Submit your application online by clicking HERE and indicate the McGill job number MT0860.